Be a Child's Champion
Cook I (Full Time)FOOD AND NUTRITION SERVICES Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus Miami, Florida Requisition ID 21037
Performs food production of patients and retail services. Assists Head Chef in the preparation of catering and/or Specialty Food Stations. Prepares, seasons, cooks and displays food according to recipes and specifications for patient and retail services.
Minimum Job Requirements
ServSafe or National Registry of Food Safety Professionals certification required within 6 months of hire date
3-5 years of volume cooking experience in a hospital, hotel, institutional, or catering setting
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Head Chef with food production for patients and retail.
- Maintains food production sheets for the patients and retail by weighing food items for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Dates, labels and maintains the freshness of prepared food items following the FIFO (First In, First Out) method.
- Ensures food is served at safe and proper temperatures (hot food hot, cold food cold).
- Records temperatures daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner for patients and/or retail.
- Ensures the service area is clean, sanitized and organized condition at all times. Performs daily cleaning and sanitizing of kitchen equipment used for cooking.
- Prepares, seasons and cooks certain food items (e.g., burgers, fries, soups, sauces, vegetables, and entrees) according to projections and historical data.
- Follows proper food safety and cooking techniques and methods.
- Set-ups, prepares and presents at assigned times food that is appealing, tastes good, and is consistent with standardized recipes for patients, retail and catering.
- Records and maintains accurate production and quality assurance records with assistance from Storeroom Clerk.
- Floats and works in other areas of the Food & Nutrition Services department when needed.
- High school education or equivalent preferred.
- Able to float and cover in other areas of the Food & Nutrition Services department when needed.
- Associate degree or comparable education from a cooking school with accredited apprenticeship preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to relate cooperatively and constructively with customers and co-workers.
- Basic knowledge in use of computers and printers.
- Ability to learn appropriate software application(s).
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation standards based on ServSafe.
- Knowledge of Spanish is helpful.
- Able to follow detailed written or verbal instructions.
- Proficiency in food safety and proper cooking techniques and methods.
Job : Food & Nutrition Services
Primary Location : Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus
Department : FOOD AND NUTRITION SERVICES-2100-800000
Joining a new organization can be daunting or overwhelming. But at Nicklaus, your colleagues make you feel welcomed. They taught me to celebrate our accomplishments and band together during challenging times. This is not easy to find in healthcare these days, so I’m grateful to have found an amazing place to work with people and leadership who have my well-being in mind.Lova Renee Brunson Manager Accreditation & Regulatory
Collaboration leads to success.
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. Working together, we find solutions and methods we would never find alone, and at Nicklaus Children’s, we have fun doing it.
Responsibility drives us.
We all take responsibility here – for the children, their families, our work and each other. We meet our responsibilities head on and motivate each other to succeed.
Empower yourself, help others.
Nicklaus Children’s encourages team members to believe in their ability to affect positive change in the world through everything they do with us.
Advocate for the right way.
Advocate for children. Advocate for families. Advocate for yourself. But most of all, advocate for getting the job done right and you will find nothing but success and support in your career here.
Transformation is growth.
At Nicklaus Children’s, change is not to be feared. When you work here, you are always working with the most advanced tools and procedures available.
Empathy is everything.
We expect our team members to have empathy for the patients and families they treat, and in turn, we have empathy for them. We take care of everyone in the Nicklaus Children’s family with competitive benefits and our supportive culture.