Be a Child's Champion
Histotechnologist (Full Time, Day shift)LABORATORY-SURGICAL PATHOLOGY Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus Miami, Florida Requisition ID 25763
Prepares microscopic tissue slides for diagnostic/research purposes and performs tissue stains to assist in diagnosis. Handles specimen accessioning and maintains laboratory and equipment, while adhering to guidelines of licensing and regulatory agencies. Works under the supervision of the Section Chief, the direction of the Leaders.
Job Specific Duties
- Complies with hospital and laboratory safety regulations. Maintains cleanliness of equipment and area.
- Monitors inventory and assures supplies are adequate. Submits requisitions for lights, blades, and reagents via PeopleSoft.
- Participates in teaching laboratory procedures and policies to students and conducts onboarding for new employees.
- Performs laboratory tests accurately in required time.
- Performs scheduled preventative maintenance and calibrations on instruments and equipment.
- Prepares microscopic slides for diagnostic processing, embedding, microtomy, mounting (paraffin/frozen sections), staining (routine/special/IHC), slide & block labeling and coverslipping.
- Accessions specimens both manually and using computerized data entry.
- Prepares and maintains all necessary reagents including stains, alcohols, and paraffins according to proper specifications.
- Demonstrates and ensures proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) indication and use.
- Reviews instrumentation, processes, re-agents and storage to ensure compliance.
- Accountable to prepare frozen tissue for sendouts (batch) based upon requirements.
- Maintains laboratory, equipment, and accurate records of quality assurance control; assists with teaching and implementation of new procedures.
- Responsible for timely performance of frozen sections with a turnaround time that is within standards.
- Ensures compliance with applicable regulatory standards and accrediting agencies including CLIA, CAP, ACHA, CMS, and DNV.
- Conducts parallel studies, evaluates new instrumentation, and implements new test procedures per CAP standards.
- Accountable to file the parrifin blocks.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Active State of Florida Clinical Laboratory Technologist license with Histology qualification required – maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- Prior work experience in Histotechnology lab
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Provides coverage on assigned rotating weekends as part of lab team.
- Bachelor’s degree and national certification preferred.
- National certification preferred
- HT (ASCP) Histotechnologist certification preferred.
- Ability to communicate promptly, clearly, and courteously, both verbally and writing with all hospital co-workers and clients.
- Ability to understand protocols and policies required to perform laboratory procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform laboratory techniques and use laboratory instruments related to histotechnology.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information and adheres to HIPAA guidelines.
- Able to work cooperatively and constructively with physicians, patients, families, and co-workers.
- Ability to effectively and appropriately manage tasks under stressful conditions.
- Ability to approach problems and decisions analytically.
- Complies with required continuing education requirements.
- Ability to maintain records, maintain a clean, and well-organized work area.
- Competency with all equipment related to tasks; microscopes, cryostats, tissue processors, tissue embedders, microtomes, routine, special and immuno-histochemical strainers, slide and block labelers, and cover slippers.
- Competency with all procedures related to tasks; performance of frozen sections, routine histology, specimen accessioning, procedure documentation, quality control, quality assurance, etc.
- Ability to adhere to the established departmental service standards.
- Ability to use enter and access patient data from software.
Job : Laboratory
Primary Location : Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus
Department : LABORATORY-SURGICAL PATHOLOGY-2100-702666
Joining a new organization can be daunting or overwhelming. But at Nicklaus, your colleagues make you feel welcomed. They taught me to celebrate our accomplishments and band together during challenging times. This is not easy to find in healthcare these days, so I’m grateful to have found an amazing place to work with people and leadership who have my well-being in mind.Lova Renee Brunson Manager Accreditation & Regulatory
Collaboration leads to success.
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. Working together, we find solutions and methods we would never find alone, and at Nicklaus Children’s, we have fun doing it.
Responsibility drives us.
We all take responsibility here – for the children, their families, our work and each other. We meet our responsibilities head on and motivate each other to succeed.
Empower yourself, help others.
Nicklaus Children’s encourages team members to believe in their ability to affect positive change in the world through everything they do with us.
Advocate for the right way.
Advocate for children. Advocate for families. Advocate for yourself. But most of all, advocate for getting the job done right and you will find nothing but success and support in your career here.
Transformation is growth.
At Nicklaus Children’s, change is not to be feared. When you work here, you are always working with the most advanced tools and procedures available.
Empathy is everything.
We expect our team members to have empathy for the patients and families they treat, and in turn, we have empathy for them. We take care of everyone in the Nicklaus Children’s family with competitive benefits and our supportive culture.