Be a Child's Champion
Nurse Navigator- Pediatric Oncology, Outpatient (Full Time,
By becoming a nurse at Nicklaus Children’s, you will be responsible for the planning and delivery of patient and family centered care that meets the quality of standards at our Magnet designated hospital. We are looking for a nurse to provide compassion and knowledge every day.
What makes a successful Nurse at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team Player
- We are there through all stages of health and life, both physically and mentally.
- We believe in inspiring hope and promoting lifelong health.
- We are a trusted partner to children and their families, not only in times of illness, but throughout their life journey.
- We are guided by the CREATE (collaboration, responsibility, empowerment, advocacy, transformation, empathy) values and behaviors.
Joining a new organization can be daunting or overwhelming. But at Nicklaus, your colleagues make you feel welcomed. They taught me to celebrate our accomplishments and band together during challenging times. This is not easy to find in healthcare these days, so I’m grateful to have found an amazing place to work with people and leadership who have my well-being in mind.Lova Renee Brunson Manager Accreditation & Regulatory
Part-time and full-time employees receive the same benefits package.
Assumes responsibility in association with Physicians and Leaders to serve as a liaison for the "community" (referring physicians, patients and families) and other Nicklaus Children's Physicians. Assesses, plans, implements, evaluates, and supervises individual patient care according to organizational policies and procedures. Establishes early contact with cancer patients to eliminate barriers to timely diagnosis and treatment by coordination of referrals from physicians and health care facilities. Provides patient education related to illness and planned treatment. Provides patients with resources and linkages including community and patient/family support and assists in meeting cancer-related needs as identified by patients and families.
Job Specific Duties
- Ensures safe and efficient patient care. Works closely with providers and program coordinators in all specialty areas to coordinate and communicate the patient’s care plan.
- Ensures further development of a collaborative and streamlined transitional patient and family process with physicians in the community and/or other related services such as radiation oncology.
- Works and collaborates with multidisciplinary teams to maintain and implement up-to-date coordinated patient care; communicates with all members of the healthcare team on behalf of the patient.
- Ensures clinical protocols to refer patients to appropriate specialist for diagnosis and treatment. Assists patients/families in obtaining referrals/appointments with needed specialists.
- Collaborates with clinic staff, case management, and authorizations teams to validate approriate authorizations are on file in the outpatient Infusion Unit to ensure proper reimbursement and prevent any treatment related delays.
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary team to provide support as appropriate to ensure appointments/procedures were completed for date of service. Notifies team of schedule changes.
- Identifies and eliminates health care system barriers to ensure timely access to quality medical and clinical care.
- Proactively develops & enhances clinical processes with the goal of providing an excellent quality clinical experience for patients. Assures smooth transition of inpatient/outpatient experiences.
- Communicates with referring physician’s office for the patient’s and physician’s needs. Serves as liaison to community organizations for ongoing information and support services.
- Identifies, informs & assists with educating patients about their disease. Provides educational materials to parents. Develops care plans to enhance education & satisfaction; addresses clinical concerns.
- Works with Marketing and outreach departments to educate referring physicians and facilities on available services.
- Serves as a nurse liaison to facilitate services on patient management and leads in the coordination of complex care across a continuum.
- Ensures communication between staff & physicians; responsible for arranging appointments & follow-up; serves as a front-line resource to obtain records, test results, & other clinical information. Supports complex scheduling needs for patients in the Cancer and Blood Disorders Institute and the Infusion Unit.
- Functions as clinical expert/role model for the Pediatric Oncology Department, identifying clinical and communication issues.
- Utilizes data obtained to integrate evidence practice into patient care processes.
- Along with administrative staff, keeps meticulous data of physician and patient inquiries, including outcomes related to timeliness of communication, completed referrals and outcomes.
- Disseminates new information across the institution and the community, and remains current and at the cutting edge of specialty.
- Promotes a safe “error free” working environment by consistently performing thorough hand-offs, supporting infection prevention, and other patient safety measures.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- RN Licensure within the State of Florida or Multi-State Enhanced Nursing License Compact (eNLC) – maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- American Heart Association BLS – maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- 2-4 years of experience in oncology nursing
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Master’s degree in Nursing preferred.
- Specialty certification is preferred.
- Pediatric nursing in an acute care setting preferred.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Well versed in conflict management skills.
- Good analytical and deduction skills.
- Sympathetic and emotionally supportive to patients and families.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to multi-task.
Job : Nursing - Clinical
Primary Location : Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus
Department : CANCER CENTER-2100-710000
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.
Explore transportation, parks, cafés, shopping and beaches in this location.