Be a Child's Champion
Phlebotomist (Full Time, Days)LABORATORY-PHLEBOTOMY Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus Miami, Florida Requisition ID 23868
Works under the direction of management. Performs phlebotomy procedures and collects specimens for Nicklaus Children's Hospital, LabCorp, and Quest Diagnostics adhering to policies and procedures of the department.
Job Specific Duties
- Prepares site for blood draw, following infection control procedures per hospital policies and procedures.
- Follows the Patient Five Rights to ensure quality and safe patient care. Performs correct patient preparation for specimen(s) to be collected.
- Maintains current skills required to perform specimen collection.
- Ensures stat, timed, routine, and difficult blood draws are performed within the required time without interfering with quality of work.
- Maintains positive interpersonal communication with physicians, patients, customers, and MCHS staff.
- Centrifuges and separates blood and urine per orders for outpatient phlebotomy.
- Documents within the same shift on the temperature control logs, eyewash stations, and Quest and Labcorp pick up forms (count of specimens).
- Provides buddy coverage with team members and outpatient lab to optimize work flow.
- Monitors inventory and ensures supplies are adequate on every shift.
- Performs quality control, utilizes material prior to expiration, and maintains required records according to the guidelines of licensing and regulatory agencies.
- Follows all Infection Control standards and ensures proper use of Personal Protective Equipment per hospital policy and procedures to ensure safe patient care.
Minimum Job Requirements
- American Heart Association BLS American Heart Association (AHA) BLS- maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- Phlebotomy Certificate Phlebotomy certificate - active and in good standing throughout employment
- 1-3 years Phlebotomy experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High School education or equivalent.
- Completion of a phlebotomy course is preferred.
- Knowledge of Cerner preferred.
- Ability to communicate promptly, clearly, and courteously both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate in English with all hospital staff and customers.
- Ability to interpret and analyze information to perform laboratory procedures.
- Ability to use computers to enter and access patient data.
- Able to accurately relay patient test results to appropriate people.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform laboratory techniques and use laboratory instruments.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and adhere to HIPAA guidelines.
- Able to work cooperatively and constructively with physicians, patients, families, and co-workers.
- Ability to problem-solve to adapt standard clinical procedures to the individual client’s need.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and react calmly under stressful conditions.
- Knowledge of and ability to restrain when necessary.
Job : Laboratory
Primary Location : Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus
Department : LABORATORY-PHLEBOTOMY-2100-702007
Joining a new organization can be daunting or overwhelming. But at Nicklaus, your colleagues make you feel welcomed. They taught me to celebrate our accomplishments and band together during challenging times. This is not easy to find in healthcare these days, so I’m grateful to have found an amazing place to work with people and leadership who have my well-being in mind.Lova Renee Brunson Manager Accreditation & Regulatory
Collaboration leads to success.
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. Working together, we find solutions and methods we would never find alone, and at Nicklaus Children’s, we have fun doing it.
Responsibility drives us.
We all take responsibility here – for the children, their families, our work and each other. We meet our responsibilities head on and motivate each other to succeed.
Empower yourself, help others.
Nicklaus Children’s encourages team members to believe in their ability to affect positive change in the world through everything they do with us.
Advocate for the right way.
Advocate for children. Advocate for families. Advocate for yourself. But most of all, advocate for getting the job done right and you will find nothing but success and support in your career here.
Transformation is growth.
At Nicklaus Children’s, change is not to be feared. When you work here, you are always working with the most advanced tools and procedures available.
Empathy is everything.
We expect our team members to have empathy for the patients and families they treat, and in turn, we have empathy for them. We take care of everyone in the Nicklaus Children’s family with competitive benefits and our supportive culture.